DAMIANA ROSE CORDIAL
Damiana Rose Cordial is a delicious, libido-lifting beverage for you and your beloved. It is rich with heart opening, uplifting herbs that stimulate and tone the nervous system and reproductive organs. The term cordial refers to a mild, aromatic medicinal beverage or tonic that has been sweetened and is pleasant to drink. The word cordial is derived from the Latin word for Heart, “cor” or “cord-“ and old English “cordial” meaning of or belonging to the heart. This cordial is made to be sipped at room temperature from petite cordial glasses. Serve this luscious cordial with these Raw Chocolate Bliss Balls to really kick your evening into high gear!
If you plan to serve this cordial at you next party or as a warm-up for “Date Night,” you will need to plan ahead. Initially the Damiana needs to steep in Brandy for at least five days. I also find that beautiful and subtle flavors in this cordial improve with age. When they say that “the best things are worth waiting for,” this is one of those things!
Let’s take a quick at the libido-lifting, heart-warming herbs in this recipe.
Damiana (Turnera aphrodisiaca or diffusa): Damiana is stimulating and uplifting to the nervous system. It can help alleviate shyness and inhibition, and relieve depression and anxiety. Native to South America, the Mayan and Aztec people used Damiana as a sexual tonic. Today, Damiana is still considered an energizing tonic for the nervous system and reproductive systems, used to address erectile dysfunction and low libido in men and women. It has a spicy, somewhat pungent flavor and can also be prepared as a tea or liquid extract.
Rose Petals (Rose damascena): People have cultivated Rose and enjoyed its exquisite fragrance in medicine, food and perfumery for at least 5,000 years. Though not technically an aphrodisiac, Rose has long been used to open the heart and promote feelings of love and devotion. Associated with Aphrodite, the Greek Goddess of Love, no formula for the heart is complete without this scent of this precious flower. This recipe calls for an Organic Rose Hydrosol, which is a pure steam-distilled Rose extract, sometime referred to as a flower water. If you purchase flower water, read the label carefully to make certain it is a true hydrosol and not made from a synthetic rose fragrance. You can also prepare Rose Petals in a simple tea or use Rose Absolute or Essential Oil in a diffuser or topically in proper dilution.
Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia): The sweet, exotic scent of pure vanilla is both soothing and euphoric. In an extract or essential oil, Vanilla is used to relieve anger and irritability and to promote feelings of arousal and satisfaction.
Damiana Rose Cordial Recipe
1 ounce Damiana leaf (approx. 1 cup)
2 cups Brandy
1 ½ cups filtered water
1 cup Honey
1 tablespoon Organic Rose Hydrosol
1 tablespoon Organic Vanilla Extract
- Place the Damiana in a glass jar and pour in the Brandy. Mix well, cover, and allow to soak for at least five days.
- After five days, strain the Brandy from the herb and store in a glass bottle or jar. Reserve the herb and place in a separate heat-tolerant jar.
- Bring water to a boil and pour it into the jar with the reserved herb. Mix well, cover, and allow the blend to steep for several hours or over-night. Strain the herb-infused water from the herb. Compost the herb.
- Place the Damiana-infused water in a small sauce pan and warm over low heat. Add the honey and stir occasionally until the honey is fully incorporated. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the Damiana-infused Brandy and Damiana-infused water/honey blend. Add Rose Hydrosol and Vanilla Extract. Pour into a glass jar or bottle and shake well. Allow to sit for an additional week before serving.
We often serve this Rose Damiana Cordial at our monthly DIY, Sip & Socials and it is always a hit. After a few sips everyone begins to relax, smile more brightly and connect. I hope you enjoying sipping your this libido-lifting cordial with your friends and your beloved.
Please leave your question and comments, below.